Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lina Lamont should be shot ... and other good music and dance routines that are in no way related (or fit into the overall general plot) to this movie

Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
Adam’s rating: ★★★  (out of 5)
Director: Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly
Rated: none. 103 min.
No. 10 on AFI 100
No. 5 on AFI 100 reissue
No. 78 on IMDB Top 250
Starring: Gene Kelly,
Donald O’Connor, Debbie Reynolds
"Singin' in the Rain": No. 10 on AFI 100; No. 5 on AFI 100 (2007); No. 78 on IMDB Top 250

This was – and is – a tough film for me to review. While I typically despise musicals, I surprised even myself in liking this film the first time I watched it. However, after some careful reflection, I’m beginning to reconsider.

Leaving out the signature scene near the end of the movie when Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) figures out how to fix his trainwreck of a movie he’s making and some of the musical choices, the criticism I have for this film are plenty.

This film is a complete echo of “Sunset Boulevard” and knowing that it was made in 1952 – two years after Billy Wilder’s classic film noir -- makes this matter worse.

The concept of making a film about the start of the talkie in the history of Motion Pictures is half-ass unique. What’s interesting about this film is the portrayal of how the quick transition to sound affected Hollywood and the silent film stars. But, the long-term effect the transition to sound had in making young stars and starlets of the silent era obsolete is much more interesting in “Sunset Boulevard” – and, as Norma Desmond portrays in that film (which will get its review eventually), much more cryptic.

While there is something to be said for making a film about the immediate effect the advent of the talkie had on silent stars – and it is an idea with merit – it really boils down to what type of film you prefer? Would you rather watch an overtly bubbly, all problems get solved film like this, or a dark, cynical film noir from one of American cinema’s greatest writer/directors of all time?
My other love/hate beef with this film is the music. Initially – and I still feel this way – I love the music. About halfway through the film when Lockwood is recounting the tale of how he got big in Hollywood with Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) and once we get into the need to create Lockwood and Lamont’s next film into a talkie, that’s when the songs get interesting. I was particularly impressed with “Make ‘em Laugh” and “Moses Supposes” – as well as “Good Morning” and the dance sequences that accompany each song.

The biggest problem I have with the music is it doesn’t fit the movie. At all. And I didn’t really see this or become very cognizant of this fact until it was pointed out to me by a friend who was surprised when I said I liked this film based on the tongue-lashing I gave “Gone With the Wind” and she had to tolerate me bad-mouthing it.

Even the title song, “Singin’ in the Rain” and its iconic scene have nothing to do with the movie at all.

And frankly, that and the fact that this film is a more bubbly, happy-go-lucky version of what happened to the stars of the silent-era as the transition from silent to talkie hit is what’s wrong with this film.

Oh, and Lina Lamont’s voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment