Monday, January 31, 2011

You blow'd up my job!

Star Wars (1977)
Adam’s rating: ★★★1/2  (out of 5)
Director: George Lucas
Rated: PG. 121 min.
No. 15 on AFI 100
No. 13 on AFI 100 reissue
No. 15 on IMDB Top 250
Starring: Mark Hamill,
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher,
Alec Guiness
"Star Wars: Episode IV, A New Hope (1977)":
No. 15 on AFI 100, No. 13 on AFI 100 (2008),

No. 15 on IMDB Top 250 

Like most nerds, I love this movie. It’s the start of the entire saga. It’s the start of something new in science fiction. It’s the hero’s journey. It’s one of the most iconic films – and start of one of the most iconic film series -- of our generation.

And it’s not even my favorite.

I understand this film’s importance in the lexicon of science fiction and I respect it; but, I feel that on these lists the movie is overrated for its landmark status and less for its technical quality, story, etc. Usually, the hero’s journey starts with the initiation and embarking on that journey and while this film has that, the story is nowhere near as exciting as its sequel “The Empire Strikes Back.”

In terms of special effects, they’re good for a small budget in 1977. However, the succeeding films have better effects and while I like to take into account the technology available when a movie is made, I don’t buy that argument for “Star Wars” because of movies like “2001: A Space Odyssey.” The only argument I buy for why the special effects are a little lacking at points in this film (and too 1970s) is because of the budget (“2001” was an epic film with an enormous budget; “Star Wars” wasn’t. OK. But seeing lines and stop-motion animation in scenes is annoying).

Aside from my gripes, I still like this film. I’m enamored with the overall story – even if I don’t like it as much as other parts of the trilogy. This film is the start of a new journey; it’s the start of an iconic film series that has left its mark and a legacy on film buffs, fans, the world and film-making as a whole. And it’s still entertaining to watch more than 30 years later.

1 comment:

  1. for hero's journey, see Kal's excellent analysis at http://www.clickok.co.uk/index4.html

    ReplyDelete